Private. Discreet . Friendly
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) Treatment in Ho Chi Minh City
Dr. Tan & Partners (DTAP Clinic) @ Ho Chi Minh City provides holistic and comprehensive Men’s Health (Andrology) services at the heart District 5 Ward 1 in Ho Chi Minh.
First established in 2005 in Robertson Walk (Singapore), our men’s clinics have been treating both local and foreign patients with erectile dysfunction medical issues in our clinics in Singapore, Malaysia and Vietnam.
Our men's health doctors (Andrologist) are experienced in diagnosing, treating and managing diseases and medical conditions specific to men, such as men’s hormonal issues, penile and foreskin-related problems, erectile dysfunction (ED), and Prostate issues.
DTAP Men’s clinic in HCMC provides our patients with the medical in a private and discreet environment for our patient to discuss your medical issues with our doctors.
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)
What is Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)?
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) is a non-cancerous condition where the prostate enlarges. Part of the urethra (the tube that carries urine) travels through the prostate as it comes out of the bladder. If the prostate enlarges in areas adjacent to the urethra, it might compress the urethra itself, causing the lumen to narrow, causing uncomfortable symptoms. It is a common condition with older men.
Talk to our doctors about the treatment options available.
The symptoms of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)
What are the symptoms of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)?
When the lumen of the urethra is narrowed, it may present with
- Difficulty in the starting of urination
- Weak urine stream
- Starting and stopping of the urine stream
- Dribbling at the end of urination
- Increased frequency and urgency of urination
- Multiple visits to the toilet at night
- The feeling of incomplete urination
These symptoms usually interfere with the patient’s quality of life and sleep. If there is chronic obstruction by the prostate, urine can chronically be retained, which can damage the kidneys and bladder, resulting in urinary tract infections (UTI) and kidney stones as well.
Aside from checking if you have these symptoms, the doctor will also do a prostate examination. Urine tests, an ultrasound or blood tests might be required to determine kidney function and the level of Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) in the blood.
Your doctor will provide the available treatment options and lifestyle changes to improve your condition.
Treatment for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)
What are the treatment options available?
The medications used to treat BPH include:
- These medications relax the muscles of the bladder neck and prostate and thus urine can flow more easily through the urethra.
- Side effects include low blood pressure, headaches and dizziness.
5 alpha-reductase inhibitors (5 ARIs)
- These medications prevent the formation of 5DHT, a hormone that causes the prostate to grow.
- Long term use can shrink the prostate, thus relieving symptoms.
- Side effects include erectile dysfunction, ejaculatory dysfunction and loss of libido.
Phosphodiesterase inhibitors (PDE5-Is)
- PDE5-Is is also used to treat erectile dysfunction. It increases nitric oxide concentration in smooth muscle, facilitating both erections of the penis and bladder neck and prostatic relaxation and subsequent bladder emptying.
- Side effects include headaches, palpitations, flushing and muscle aches
If the symptoms do not decrease after medication, a referral to a Urologist for an operation known as transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) will be recommended. The surgery is done under general anaesthesia and removes the part of the prostate intruding into the urethra. No cuts are made and it is done through the penis.
Speak to us today!
It is important to note that you shouldn't have to live with the symptoms above. BPH is easily manageable and treating it can improve the quality of your life significantly. Speak to our doctors today to discuss your symptoms!
Speak to our Men's Health Doctor Today!
875 Duong Tran Dao Phuong 1, Quan 5 Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam
Monday to Friday
9 am to 5 pm
Saturday & Sunday
9 am to 3 pm
(Public Holiday Closed)
Telephone: +84 28 2250 8792 (Appointment)
Message us via WhatsApp or Zalo for Enquiry
+84 09 0128 1422